Wednesday, July 26, 2023

“I think that men ought to treat women like something other than weaker men with breasts.” ― Jim Butcher, Storm Front

 















NOTE: Not at all unusual when I was a child, growing up in N.Y.C. tenements. My mother would lay down a soft quilt & a pillow and I remember feeling much cooler on a hot summer day. I never spent a night out there tho.

“For five days the city had wilted under a hard sky, sweltering in a temperature that stayed fixed in the middle nineties. Even at night there was no relief from the heat. Pyjamas and nighties stuck clammily to damp skin. Half-clad, self-pitying figures rose, exasperated by insomnia, to stumble through darkened rooms in search of a cooler plot than their bed, hoping that, all accidentally, they might waken any gross sleeper the house contained. Cold water ran hot from the taps, and the roads turned to tar.”

― Elizabeth Harrower, Down in the City


No comments:

Post a Comment