Friday, May 19, 2023

“That's the thing about magic; you've got to know it's still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you.” ― Charles de Lint


 "...And after a long time the boy came back again.

"I am sorry, Boy," said the tree, "but I have nothing left to give you-
My apples are gone."

"My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy.

"My branches are gone," said the tree. "You cannot swing on them-"
"I am too old to swing on branches," said the boy.

"My trunk is gone," said the tree.
"You cannot climb-"

"I am too tired to climb," said the boy.

"I am sorry," sighed the tree. "I wish that I could give you something... but I have nothing left. I am an old stump. I am sorry..."

"I don't need very much now," said the boy, "just a quiet pleace to sit and rest. I am very tired."

"Well," said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could,
"well, an old stump is a good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest."

And the boy did.

And the tree was happy."

Shel Silverstein - The Giving Tree, 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment